Keeping your event safe and legal
Planning on organising a fundraising event for National Star? Brilliant! Here are some top tips for ensuring that your event is safe and legal, as well as lots of fun.
- The type of event you are running, and the risk involved
- The location of your event, including the type of venue
- How near your event is it to local medical facilities
- If your event will have access to welfare and first aid facilities
- How long your event is going to last
- The number of people at your event
- The type of people at your event, including their ages
- What the weather is likely to be like
If your event involves the public, you will need to have Public Liability Insurance. Check with the venue first as they may already have insurance that covers your event.
Some things require a licence, such as:
- Alcohol or entertainment, including recorded music
- Holding a raffle, lottery or auction
- Doing a public money collection
- Putting up banners or signs in public areas
This list does not cover everything. Contact your local authority to check which licences you will need.
The Food Standards Agency provides guidelines for preparing, handling and cooking food. If you are using a caterer you need to make sure they have a Food Hygiene Certificate and Public Liability Insurance.
Taking photos and / or video
If you plan to take photos and / or video of the people attending your event, make sure that you let them know and give them the opportunity to opt-out. Let any attendees you want to feature know where you plan to share the content (i.e. online or in print). By sharing any photos and / or video of the people at your event with National Star to use, you confirm that everyone in them has given consent for you to do so.
Here is some advice for handling money at fundraising events:
- Where possible, have two people around when money is being handled and counted
- Collect cash using a secure container – either a National Star sealed collecting tin or bucket for a collection, or a secure cash box for change
- Notify National Star as soon as possible and we will advise you how to get the money to us
Find out more
For more information about running a fundraising event for National Star, get in touch with our Fundraising team at email@example.com or telephone 01242 524478.