Make our warming Wild Mushroom and Dark Beer Soup
Brrrrr. The chilliness of January after the festivities of the Christmas holidays can be hard to bear. The cold dark mornings coupled with the cold dark evenings can make us feel quite tired and down. Fortunately, there are ways to fix this and they start in the kitchen!
Lots of us feel that we need to give up something for January – meat, alcohol, carbohydrates, chocolate… But here at StarBistro we believe that January is not a time to give up your favourite foods. In fact, we strongly believe that these short dark days of winter demand that we look after ourselves, cherish the things that make us happy and eat and drink the things that give us comfort.
If a hearty pie is what makes you happy, eat it. If a hot chocolate with a brownie makes your afternoon feel like it’s been kissed by sunshine, go ahead. And if a nip of something alcoholic in the evening makes you feel warm and cosy, why not? A little bit of what you fancy can help the deep mid-winter blues turn into something rosy.
So, on the understanding that all things, in moderation, are good for you, we would like to share one of our go-to January recipes with you. Our Wild Mushroom and Dark Beer Soup is as warming as a hot water bottle, nourishing and, most importantly, delicious. The alcohol is cooked off and the beer imparts a malty, hoppy taste, but you can omit the beer and increase the vegetable stock by 150ml if you prefer. Enjoy!
Wild Mushroom and Dark Beer Soup
- 500g flat mushrooms, sliced
- 250g wild mushrooms, sliced
- ½ large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Small bunch thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- ½ small bottle dark beer/stout (or an additional 150ml of vegetable stock)
- Salt / pepper to taste
- Snipped chives / crème fraiche to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan
- Gently cook the onions, garlic and thyme until soft but not coloured
- Add all the mushrooms and cook until softened
- Add the beer (or substitute with vegetable stock) and reduce by half
- Add 1 litre of vegetable stock
- Bring to the boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 30 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool
- Once cool, blend soup until smooth
- Reheat to serve, garnishing with crème fraiche and snipped chives
Serves five people.