Learning support training
This course is designed to develop the knowledge and skills of individuals working in support roles. It enables candidates to prepare, deliver and evaluate their practice – specifically to support learners with additional learning needs. The course also prepares support workers to work in a wide range of support contexts and to differing learning requirements.
Trainees are required to be practicing in a learning support role with people with disabilities. There are no other entry requirements for this qualification, other than trainees needing to demonstrate a competent level of English, mathematics and ICT in order to complete the course and support the learners with whom they are working.
What is involved?
The qualification covers the knowledge and skills required by those in support roles – particularly in the further education and skills sector. These include:
- Preparing to support learning
- The principals of learning support for learners with disabilities
- Learning support in the life-long learning context for learners with disabilities
- Supporting learners with disabilities
- Supporting learners with learning difficulties
This course is delivered at National Star as one three-hour session per week over 14 weeks. We can deliver this training at an organisation’s premises if a cohort of eight trainees or more have been booked. The sessions are delivered in three two-day blocks, with four to six weeks in between for trainees to complete work and gather evidence.
In order to pass this course trainees will:
- Pass three written assignments of up to 1,000 words each
- Have a portfolio demonstrating 30 hours of professional practice
- Pass three observations of support practice
The cost of this qualification is £650 per person.
How to apply
- Download the application form Word (70KB) | PDF (340KB)
- Complete the application form and email it as an attachment to Jane Finch or Louise Swann at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or post to: Jane Finch, Award, National Star, Ullenwood, Cheltenham, GL53 9QU