Training and development
Training and development is a strength of working at the charity.
Joining our team
Our three-week staff induction will help you to settle into your role, wherever you work. We deliver the training as a blend of ‘virtual’ and face-to-face sessions.
We will outline our culture and values and give you chance to meet other staff, students and residents in a safe and supportive environment.
Everyone will receive training:
• Equality, diversity and inclusion
• Safeguarding and boundaries
• Health and safety, including moving and handling
• Data protection
• Everyday first aid
• Environmental awareness
Depending upon your role, you may also receive specific training in:
• Personal care
• Infection prevention and control
• Back care and posture management
• MiDAS minibus driver training
• Wheelchair driving and safety
• Positive behaviour support
• Understanding autism
• Understanding learning disability
• Administration of medication
• Introduction to Makaton sign language
Many people join our care teams without a background in support work. The training we provide will equip you with the skills you need to feel confident in your role.
Learning opportunities are not limited to those undertaking care roles. If you want to develop your career to move to the next level, we’ll support you every step of the way.
Fulfill your potential at National Star
We like to grow our own talent. We run many apprenticeship training programmes. We also work with external apprenticeship providers including several local universities.
Some of the fully-funded training courses on offer include:
• Aspiring senior care worker
• Aspiring care deputy manager
• Aspiring care manager
• Chartered manager apprenticeship Level 5 in leadership management
• Senior leadership MBA in conjunction with the University of Gloucestershire
• Degree apprenticeship in physiotherapy, occupational therapy and nursing
Teacher education opportunities
We have our own in-house teacher education team. Staff can qualify as teachers after completing a City & Guilds accredited teacher education course.
Professional qualifications and continuous professional development
Staff in support teams such as IT, finance and HR can study towards professional qualifications while working for us.